SETTLEMENT APPROVED SEPTEMBER 14, 2012
As described below the parties reached a proposed settlement in this class action. On September 14, 2012, the Honourable Mr. Justice Perell approved of the settlement. To view or download a copy of Justice Perell’s Reasons for Decision please click here.
Terms of the Settlement
- As set out in the settlement agreement, the Canadian Business College has agreed to pay $115,000 to class members plus legal costs of $60,000 to settle the claims of the class members. The College has made no admission of liability as part of this proposed settlement.
- Under the terms of the settlement, class members who withdrew from the Dental Hygiene Program at the Canadian Business College before graduation will receive a full refund of their tuition and class members who graduated from the Program will receive a lower level of compensation.
- To view or download a copy of the settlement agreement please click here: Dental Settlement
Settlement Approval Hearing
- The Representative Plaintiff brought a motion to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to approve the settlement at a public hearing in Toronto on Friday, September 14, 2012 at 11:00 am.
- To view or download a copy of the notice of the settlement approval hearing as approved by the Court please click here
- Mr. Justice Perell approved the settlement on September 14, 2012
- To view or download a copy of the Order of Mr. Justice Perell formally approving the settlement and the costs contribution to Class Counsel please click here
- To view or download a copy of the subsequent Reasons of Mr. Justice Perell dated September 19, 2012 approving the settlement please click here
- The Representative Plaintiff will ask the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to approve the settlement at a public hearing currently scheduled to proceed in Toronto on Friday, September 14, 2012 at 11:00 am.
- If the Court is satisfied with the fairness of the settlement, it should be approved by the Court by way of written reasons to be delivered by the Court following the hearing.
- If the Court does not approve the settlement agreement, the lawsuit will continue and a further notice will be sent advising the class that the settlement agreement has not been approved.
To view of download a copy of the reasons of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice certifying this action as a class proceeding click here: certification reasons. To view or download a copy of the certification order click here: Certification Order. Should you have any questions about this class action or wish to receive information about this class action, contact us at:
Tel: (416) 362-1989 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org